The 5 senses of coffee
All 5 senses are involved in appreciating the perfect espresso. The components of the espresso are the following.
See also under: “Espresso Variations”
See also under: “Brown, Gold or Nut” – Viennese Coffee Specialities
- Prior to roasting coffee beans lack any “coffee” aroma
- There are over 800 aroma components in a shot of espresso
- Aroma is a key indicator of freshness
- Coffee oils that are emulsified in the brewing process form the hallmark espresso crema
- Crema colour will indicate the type of beans used
- A well-formed crema will support a spoonful of sugar for 4-5 seconds and reform after breaking
Espresso has a distinctive, thick mouthfeel.
In a fine espresso grind, there are 28,000 particles of coffee to every 7g of beans ground. The ideal dose of ground coffee for a single shot is 7-8g
- Brewing temperature of 88-92° C
- Water pressure of 9 Bar/132 psi
- Measure of single shot = 1-1.2 fl oz
- Brewing time of app. 18 seconds
+ plus +
Human interaction Ι Passion Ι Skill Ι Common Sense
Steps for the perfect espresso
- In an ideal world, creating the perfect espresso con be split into 12 steps.
- Unlock the portafilter from the Group (during working hours these should always be locked into position to keep warm)
- Briefly flush the Group by pressing a brew button
- Ensure the portafilter is clean by removing any grounds, rinsing with hot water and dry
- Place the clean, dry portafilter under the grinder dipenser and dose with freshly ground coffee (1 flick of the doser handle for a single shot; 2 flicks for a double)
- Even out the coffee surface in the portafilter by tapping the sides
- Tamp the portafiler firmly
- Tap the sides of the portafilter once more to redisperse the tamped coffee
- Tamp a secod time with slightly more force – ideally 40psi (gernerally achieved by pushing down firmly with the hand you do not use for writing). As you do this, “twist” the portafilter under the tamp
- Brush off the tamp to remove any coffee, and also brush the portafilter rim
- Carefully lock the portafilter into the Group
- Place the espresso cup under the brew spout(s)
- Press the appropriate brew button to brew the espresso shot into the cup
Do you need help? – Contact me!